Monday, June 6, 2011

The road goes on and I'm finally moving down it!

Ok... So this has been a very sparse blog as of yet, and that was because everything had been moving slowly for me in my search to get surgery set up.

That wait is over!  I am scheduled for Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass (which you will see me refer to as RNY) with Dr. J.D. Fuller on the 28th of June!  The surgery will be at Baptist Health Medical Center in Little Rock, AR.

I know I know... I told everyone that I was going to do Lap-Band and I was... but the surgeon and my PCP (primary care physician) told me that RNY would be a better option for me to help me get to a healthy and sustainable weight.  At first, I was at the point where I could really care less what either of them thought and was willing to tell them forget about it; give me the Lap-Band or forget the whole thing.  At the end of the day though... I decided to look into the differences in each procedure and the outcomes possible after following the requirements set forth by both. 

After a lot of research; and lets quantify that... I read 4 books, spent nearly 100 hours reading about the different surgeries, and read thousands of testimonials from non commercial forums... I decided I was okay with doing RNY Bypass.  In fact, I believe that in the end it will create a much better outcome and my life will be changed in a far more positive way than Lap-Band could do for me. 

So... with that decision being made - I went and paid the hospital and surgeon fees ($1,786.00) after insurance, and set the date.  I have an entire gambit of pre-tests that they want to run on the 15th as well as a visit to the in-practice dietitian.  Should be an interesting day full of lots of needles and signing papers telling me all the ways I will be able to die by paying these people to cut me open.  I am stoked!


I have met some people through a fantastic website called obesityhelp.com and I think that they, along  with my fantastic girlfriend and family will be the key to my success in the long run.  Support is so important, and if my support system has anything to do with it, this will be a fantastic experience for me!

I will have more soon, but for now... patiently waiting until the 15th and much more information to be had then!

Solon

No comments:

Post a Comment